We probably do not need to explain in the year 2010 why backing up is not just a good idea, but is critical for any site owner.
This simple guide will show you how how to:
- Ask DirectAdmin to produce a backup of your site, mailboxes & databases, into one small package
- Download this backup to your local machine
We will assume the following:
- You have a hosting package on a DirectAdmin server
- You know the login & password to your package
- You have enough space in your package for the backup file
Step 1: Ask DirectAdmin to generate the backup
Login to your DirectAdmin package, and you will be greeted with the following page (click to zoom):
You will get to the “Site Backup” screen, now click the “Create Backup” button:
You will then see this screen:
And after a minute or two, if everything went well with the backup, you will also receive an email from the system, which should look like this (more or less):
Step 2: Download the backup to your computer
Now that your backup is ready, it’s time to download them to your computer. Click again “Create/Restore Backups” in the main Control Panel page.
You will see again the “Backups” page, this time click the link at the bottom that says “Click here for a list of your current backups”.
You should now see the following screen:
Now, here is how we suggest you save this file:
- Open your “My Documents” folder in your computer, and inside make a new directory called “Site Backups“
- Now in the page above, Right-Click and select “Save as…“, then choose your “Site Backups“.
- Your backup will now download to the “Site Backups” directory.
That’s it, we are done!
As a general rule, I suggest you keep at least 1 week of backups on your computer.